The importance of selecting the right SMS software supplier should not be underestimated. A number of key thoughts should underpin any selection process. For
- Policy - Defining the airline’s commitment to safety that lays the foundation for a safer, more open operation. This is the airline’s statement of their dedication to make safety their number one priority. Included in this requirement is the establishment of management commitment to the safety policy and the identification of all managers with a safety remit including an Accountable Manager. The policy will also define what is unacceptable
behaviourand what actions will not result in disciplinary proceedings; often referred to as “Just Culture”
- Risk Management - The process of identifying, reporting and
analysinghazards and mitigating (controlling) any associated risks. These processes apply to Safety Issue Risk Assessments and also the Management of Change. Systems include reactive and proactive approaches for greater overall risk management effectiveness
- Assurance - Having a system that can monitor and benchmark the airline’s performance against set objectives. This is the process by which an airline can demonstrate that its safety objectives are being met. It is usual to demonstrate this requirement by use of Safety Performance Indicators (SPI)
- Promotion - To ensure clear and effective communication channels throughout the
Each aviation safety management software is unique. However, when it comes to choosing
To complement the ICAO components, supplier selection should also review seven other key qualities:
7 KEY SMS SUPPLIER CONSIDERATIONS
1. Was the SMS solution specifically developed for the aviation industry and is the supplier an aviation sector specialist?
Talking to a supplier already working in the aviation sector ensures there is
2. Does the SMS supplier already have a fully implemented SMS software solution in the sector, and which clients and markets does it cover?
Is the supplier happy for you to contact existing clients? It is worth reviewing this as aviation SMS suppliers have not only experience
3. Does the SMS Supplier provide service and development support?
The safety environment is evolving constantly and is subject to improvement and regulatory change (Annex 19, revision 1 is extant from November 2019) so it is important that your selected supplier is able to grow and support your SMS software requirements.
4. Is your SMS solution both scalable and
An aviation SMS supplier understands that service and product suppliers are often subject to change and growth so it is important to understand whether your supplier has experience in such
5. Does your SMS supplier have both an offline and online capability alongside the ability to implement globally?
Can the solution be accessed from both the desktop and mobile environments and is it intuitive and easy to use? Accessibility and ease of use will enhance the reporting culture within your
6. Does your supplier understand aviation terminology?
With a range of terms from hazard identification, occurrence reporting and event risk classification through to safety performance indicators and regulation 376 it is important that your SMS supplier is on the same page. Your supplier must understand the requirements of ICAO Document 9859 which is now in its fourth revision.
7. Does your supplier understand the needs for confidentiality?
Are their security
HOW CHOOSING THE RIGHT SMS SUPPLIER BENEFITS YOUR ORGANISATION
likelihoodof a successful implementation
- Provides for more informed decision-making based on your supplier’s past experience with other operators
- Underpins and improves an
- Will result in reduced effort to gain regulatory approvals
- Will ensure that you remain compliant with emerging requirements / regulatory changes
- An ability to network and benchmark with other customers
Choosing the right SMS software supplier means that they are able to work alongside you in helping your airline achieve its safety goals whilst ensuring that they help improve risk and hazard reporting thereby improving the safety culture of the
How Vistair’s SMS software can support your safety management approach:
- Immediate direct access for submission of reports via web and mobile device
- Multiple report types available in a common format for ease of use
- User access controlled using our unique UserNet product
- Consistent format reporting creates
commonclassification and dataset for clear investigation and analysis
- Automatically collates and manages reports for individuals or teams of investigators
- Confidentiality for all
reporters,and reporters can track the progress of their incident
- SafetyNet provides full visibility of all reports and incidents at various stages of progress
- Full recommendations workflow process
- All action requirements backed up by automatic e-mail including feedback to reporters
- A simple process for Safety Issue Risk Assessments with direct access to the risk register
- An in-built project management capability for more complex management of change evolutions
- Bow Tie
- A register of controls which is an important aspect of risk management
- Your data is secure. Vistair hosting is accredited by the UK MoD
Learn how implementing Vistair's SafetyNet could improve and increase your incident reporting by 60%. Read the case study to find out how easyJet achieved this.
Image by vadymvdrobot on Envato